Monday, August 1, 2011

Story Behind The Story- Four Corners

The story behind "Four Corners" is actually quite simple.  Anyone who has read my bio knows that I spent four years living in New Orleans, perhaps the most haunted city in  America, if not the world.  That being said, there is no actual history behind the events of Four Corners that I know of, but New Orleans being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised if an actual story existed somewhere.

During my Freshman year in college, in 1995, I heard rumors of an intersection somewhere deep in the French Quarter (no one knew exactly where), where four one-way signs emptied into a single intersection.  We could never find that intersection, though we did search for it.  Of course, the question of why such an intersection existed and why it had never been fixed did crop up, but no one could explain it.  Maybe if we had actually been able to find it, we would have questioned its existence a little more persistently.

Anyway, "Four Corners" is a short story, under 3,000 words, about this intersection.  There is no fact in this story and no basis in actual history or mythology, either.  Everything you read is a product of my own sickened mind, from the location of the intersection itself to what lurks there.

I have been asked on several occasions if I had any plans on expanding the story, on actually exploring the history and mythology of the intersection.  Part of me is intrigued at the prospect, curious as to what I may find if did.  The other part of me loves the short, simple, blunt nature of tale as it is, though; a disturbing little life that makes you sit back and think long after you're done reading it.  Sure, part of you wants to know exactly what is going on, but another part of you is perfectly content to just chew away at what you have just read, enjoying the mystery.

So there it is is, my first installment of Story Behind The Story.

"Four Corners" can be found in Pandora's Children: The Complete Nightmares Book 2, or for free in Pandora's Children: Dark Interludes.  Please, take a peek and let me know what you think!